Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Stuck in the middle . . . with all of you.

We just had another big family wedding. In our family, if you're getting married, you can't avoid "big." I am the youngest of 9 kids, and they all have kids. Their kids are just about all grown, though.

A little background . . . my mom and dad were each married, with 4 children each, when they divorced their respective spouses (both were abusive to the children, go figure). Then they married and raised their 8 kids, sometimes having as many as 6 or 7 in the house (my eldest sister Connie moved on her own as soon as legally possible). I came along about 12 years after my youngest sibling and about 25 years after my first sibling. Of course when your siblings are already in their mid-twenties, especially in the late '70s & '80s, they are typically already married and having children. I have a niece who is actually older than I, one who is 6 months younger (mom and stepdaughter pregnant at the same time! how fun, and sort of odd.), and many who are just a 5 years or so younger than I.


This set up insured a few things for my childhood: my youngest siblings would hate me for coming along and stealing the title of "baby" and that they may have to babysit instead of going out with their friends; when I was older, I was the playmate for the gaggle of younger nieces and nephews and sat at the kids' table long after entering my teens for the simple fact that I could keep an eye on them; and that I truly didn't feel like I fit in anywhere in my family as I was too young to have real relationships with my siblings and a little too old (I was also babysitting many of them by the time I was 12) and further removed to have that type of relationship with my siblings' kids. A child of 9, a family of 45 "immediate" members, and I felt like the odd man out, an only child. And, in many ways, I was.


By time I was old enough to do fun stuff, most of my other siblings were all out on their own. Lucky for me, this meant my parents both had time to take me to Girl Scouts, camping, on vacation, and also the funds to do it. Of course this didn't help my relationships with my siblings any, but it did give me a privileged childhood.


Fast forward to today and I am happy to report that I've found my niche. For a few years now, I've gained the trust and confidence of many of my siblings and have grown really close to a few of them. When my sister was having a rough time through her divorce, she told mom that she liked talking to me best because I was the only one who understood her. As far as their children, I am also the only sibling invited to the twenty-somethings' after hours parties and out with their friends. All their friends think I'm the coolest, a 30 year old aunt that has been there, done that, and still likes to have fun, and many of my nieces and nephews rely on me for advice or just an adult ear that is not their parents'.


Now I am stuck right in the middle of our giant family, the glue that holds the older generation to the younger, the one that can be counted on by everyone for both recreation and tomfoolery, and also for a shoulder to lean on when needed. The hub in the center of our family city. I wouldn't have it any other way.


I should be getting some pictures soon and I'll post more about the actual wedding, which was an absolute blast! I'm so happy for my brother, who has found love again after a young marriage and two fabulous grown children. His bride is truly special and sweet, and I think that this celebration gave hope to some of my other siblings who have gone through their own divorces and some who have even found new love (another of my sisters is engaged to be married for the second time as well, with two grown children).


Oh, what the hell. Here are a few pictures until I get the mother load emailed to me:




My husband and I (sorry so squinty!). I wish I had a full-length shot of my dress . . . it is HOT. Probably my favorite dress I've ever owned besides my wedding dress.




My parents, waiting for the ceremony to start. This is as "excited" as they get, folks. BUT. Can you believe they are in their 70s??? I have awesome genes.







My brother and his son wait for the bride to walk down. They are both about 6'3". We are a very tall family!

It's official!

Now it's time to party! Hopefully I'll have some great reception shots to write about later.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you are happy with where you fit in your family. I am also glad to hear that the wedding went well!

    I went shopping today for this weekend. I got a lot of goodies (assortment raisins from TJoes, Jolly Rancher goodies, applesauce, etc) I am so excited! I also found a poncho oddly enough in my skating bag (which I'm using for the trip) ha ha go figure.

    ReplyDelete